Day 145 – Spotty Wot or Dotty Wot?

Friday 9 August 2013 – Defect Inspection:

building inspection  spotty wot and dotty wot

Welcome to our house of dots!! Thankfully it’s not due to illness but a house build inspection!

David had already been through the house prior to our meeting and put some red dots on things he found needed touching up and/or fixing. Paul and I then went through the house with David this morning and after 3 hours of finding touch ups and placing dots, we were finally done.  Luckily the most dots were to do with painting touch ups where we spotted small dents, blemishes, drips, brush marks or orange peeling in the paint on the walls and or skirting and architraves and doors.
The other most common dots were in conjunction with skirting and architrave splitting or door frames and/or cornices.

The cleaners had also been in to do a builder’s clean and David was not happy with the floors of the clean as it was just a sea of dusty red footprints everywhere. He phoned them and had them come back out straight away to clean the floors again. I am just really thankful that we had the tiler seal the grout! The cleaners washed the tiles with chlorine of all things! And wouldn’t you know it – it worked a treat! There’s a tip for you!

Here is an example of what the house looked like with dots!

2013-08-10 056

The rubbish had also been collected and so the house was now free from obstruction – all that was left was the tree on the nature strip and of course the old port-a-loo!

2013-08-10 059

The flyscreens were installed later that morning and the ducted vacuum was also installed later that day.

Tuesday, 13 August 2013:

Today Paul organised a bobcat to come and dig out the rest of the red dirt pile in the backyard and level out the front yard a bit and deliver some crushed rock to put around the perimeter of the house to try and combat the red dirt/dust and also in preparation to future concreting to be done after handover.  It makes the backyard look a fair bit larger now and certainly has reduced the amount of red dirt that will be tracked into the house!

The silicone man had been working there yesterday and today.  A big job and one that is often forgotten about! He has done an absolutely fantastic job!

The mirrored robe doors and shelving units were installed and also we had the curtain and blind people out to measure the windows in preparation for making and installing the window furnishings.  We have chosen white translucent roller blinds downstairs with dual charcoal sunscreen rollers on the front windows, blockout blinds in the bedrooms upstairs with bedroom 3 and leisure as dual rollers with sunscreens as well (due to the view into the neighbour’s house), and the master bedroom and bedroom 2 at the front of the house with a dark sheer charcoal curtain.  A White timber shutter in the bathroom and just a small translucent blind in the ensuite.   Plain, simple and practical!

Here are a few more photos of work that has been carried out inside and the water tank!

2013-08-10 0192013-08-10 0172013-08-10 0232013-08-10 0272013-08-10 0312013-08-10 0452013-08-10 0342013-08-10 007

I noticed when having the windows measured for blinds and curtains, that the fly screens installed were incorrect.  We had requested aluminium mesh which is a bit stronger and a more robust alternative to the basic standard fibreglass mesh screens. They have a baked enamel finish which prevents corrosion and strengthens the weave. They also reduce the glare allowing for a greater visibility and are able to withstand tougher climates. Perfect for the Qld sun!!  A quick phone call to David and the correct screens were ordered and will be replaced shortly.

Our actual practical Completion Date has been set for Monday, 26 August at 3pm.

The jobs remaining on the list for practical completion are:

– side panels of glass splashback in butler’s pantry to be installed

– fix tap in butler’s pantry (the handle knocks into the glass splashback- so they are going to position it on it’s side to fix that issue)

– painting on external façade (finish cladding and skirting of balcony)

– staining of stairs, front door and balcony posts

– glass balustrades for the stairs

– remainder of painting on façade and paint touch ups

These jobs will mainly hopefully be done by PC on  26 August, and if not will remain on the list until completed – allowing 10 working days after practical completion prior to handover.  After our practical completion, David should be able to provide us with a hand over date which is roughly between 5-10 working days after the inspection. So all going well, it looks like we should be able to move in around the end of the first week of September! Cool!!

I am meeting David on Monday for another look at what has been done last week so hopefully some of those above jobs can already be ticked off!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s